Sunday, June 18, 2006

TONY ORLANDO & DAWN

Been away from the blog for ages. The travelling just tires you out. I must have been in Ahmedabad when I last wrote. Over three weeks ago. Since then, went to Goa (South Goa and Varca Beach to be exact), then Bombay, then London, then Carbondale in Southern Illinois (where the strip mall flag and yellow ribbon picture were taken), and now in Ann Arbor, or A squared as we called it. I lived here from 1988-91. On to Phoenix next, then Auckland via LA by early July. I'm dying to be home now.

Where to start after such a long break?

USA in totalitarian moment. A number of commentators have written about King George's signing statements which use his executive powers to change any legislation he doesn't like. The commander in chief can do whatever he deems fit.

SUVs everywhere though I'm grateful friends have them since our luggage has grown over the last two months.

Saw a bit of Fox and Republican pin-up Ann Coulter who still believes, and I quote from post 9/11:

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war."

She's got another bestseller out and has attacked several of the widows of September 11th 2001. Cynical but effective marketing.

Taken my shoes off, and my belt, removed my laptop from the bag and placed them all in grey plastic trays too often now.

Seen more women than men in military uniform at airports and supermarkets. In transit in and out of Afghanistan and Iraq. Noted that there is a growing underbelly of counter recruitment organizations.

No comments: